In a very short while I will have completed 1176 rows of lace border on a shawl sample for my cousin’s shop. For anyone who knows me, knows that while I appreciate lace, and can ooh and aah over it, I am not particularly a lace knitter. Lace barely makes sense to me; I can barely find the flow of it and can never guess the next step or understand where I made mistakes to be able to fix it easily other than a complete rip-back. So truly, this is a pretty big accomplishment for me.

But in all honesty, aside from the tediousness of 1176 rows of lace, I really enjoyed knitting the pattern: Kaldbakur from Ístex Lopi No. 37 (a book I pretty much want to knit half the patterns in) in their lace weight yarn Einband. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the Einband; it didn’t really feel like a lace weight yarn and had the signature Lopi roughness without actually being rough.

Aside from the Einband becoming a new delight to my senses, I think I’ve found a new favourite yarn: Blue Sky Fibers’s Woolstok Worsted. Oh my goodness. Not only is it a cushy wool, but it’s delightfully soft and wonderful with a ton of colours to pick from. I pretty much just want to knit everything in it. And so far I’ve knit 1.5 hats with it.

Pattern is Yukon Campfire Hat by Liz Sutton

And one of the great things about it is that the are bigger 100gr skeins sold, mostly in neutral colours, with smaller 50gr skeins of contrast colours that makes colour work projects super convenient. Like I said I’ve knit 1.5 Yukon Campfire Hats out of three skeins of yarn (1 100gr. skein in Midnight Sea and 1 50 gr. skein each of Cranberry Compote and Red Rock) and I’m pretty sure I could still squeeze out another one. Or even manage a cardigan for Miles. THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS! I’ll definitely be buying more regardless my next time at the shop; I’m completely enamoured.

Now if you’ll excuse me I’ve got 58 rows of lace to complete during someone’s nap time.


Sherlock Lives

It’s finished. Oh yes.

I wish I could explain why I am so thoroughly pleased with the fact that I am currently wearing a completely finished #SherlockLives Cardi, especially considering it was one of my quicker sweater projects. I think part of it is that throughout the entire making process I kept wavering on my colour choices. Was there enough contrast? Do I actually look good in mint? Why didn’t I go for the purple and sweatshirt grey? I totally could have gotten over my sweatshirt grey prejudice, couldn’t I? Why was I so set on using Chickadee for the contrast colour?

But as soon as it was done and I had it on, I knew: damn straight this is brilliant. I love the dark navy on the mint. And holy Moses, is the Cascade 220 Superwash Sport soft! (Definitely very splitty when knitting it, but still soft!)

The mods I made to the pattern were relatively simple; after the colourwork section on the sleeves I didn’t do any increases (I have skinny arms apparently) and in the armpit decreases I just made sure to add back the stitches on the last row so it would equal out to one less yoke repeat. And surprisingly, it all worked!

One thing I would do differently next time though is add more stitches to the fronts because although I can button up the buttons, I definitely shouldn’t….unless I want to pop one. Seriously.


Sherlock Lives